Monday, April 6, 2009

Holy Week - a time to reflect

Here I am again - surprised to see me? I'm sure you're starting to think that I might never write again!

Last night I had the joy and privilege of participating in a church-wide performance called "Yahweh." It was a compilation of songs - chronically the journey of Jesus as he arrived on Palm Sunday - through his crucifixion and resurrection. More than 100 voices, instrumentalists and other support people (like our wonderful AV team) worked hours to deliver this performance. 

Now as we are in the midst of Holy Week - I am reflecting and pondering on just how great and awesome these events truly are - in my own personal life and that of the world. 

One of my girlfriend's recently sent me a link to a video on YouTube. It's a skit done to Lifehouse's song, "Everything." It moves me to tears - as it chronicles the life of a young girl - searching for Jesus and then being swayed by the devil and finally fighting her way back. It makes me think about all the little things that can get in front of my relationship with Jesus and is making me seriously reconsider the priorities in my life. 

I really hope that you will take a moment to watch it - and have a tissue handy because I've watched it maybe 5 times now and it's brought me to tears each time. 


Kids and Easter...

No matter what the holiday - and I'm talking about the big ones - you know the two times a year people are more likely to go to church - Christmas and Easter... I want my children to know the real reason we celebrate. It's not about the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus - but about an event crucial to our heritage as Christians.

I'm so thankful for my church's strong commitment to children. We are fortunate (although it's really been a struggle) to have Madeleine in preschool at the Wesley Academy where she is getting a good start in how much God loves her. She also adores her Sunday School teacher Miss Sophie - who is a high school student volunteering her time to teach the three-year-olds!

Yesterday was a long day and Maddie took a very needed, but late nap - hence the almost midnight bedtime after a very long day for Mommy. We were laying in bed together talking at who knows what hour and she was telling me how much she loved the concert and started telling me all the components of the story of Jesus - from his ride into town on a donkey and the palms to his crucifixion, and that the angel's name was Gabriel - she had all the details down perfectly!

I stand amazed that a four-year-old little girl can tell me perfectly this story. I know she doesn't yet truly understand the significance, but it's a very promising start. 

Her enthusiasm inspires me to be a better Christian - so often I am caught up in the little things of life that I don't take the time I should for Christ. 

On Good Friday our church will be having a special service. We missed it last year, but I'm not missing it this year (I hope they have nursery!). It's called "Passion Poured Out" and if you're local - it's well worth attending.

Here's some information:

Our 2009 Good Friday Service is “Passion Poured Out”
 Friday, April 10, 2009, 7:00 p.m.

Nestled between the joyful days of Palm Sunday and Easter are days that, in the last week of Christ’s life, were full of suffering, grief, and sacrifice. Join us as we gather together and, through communion, song, and symbol, experience.


I hope no matter where you are that you take Easter beyond the bunny and remember the true reason we celebrate - that God sent his Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. It's hard to stand by and watch what is going on in the world today and not see the many prophecies coming to light. We need Jesus now more than ever!

1 comment:

Shari said...

Holy Week is by far my favorite part of the church year; nothing else takes me through such a range of emotions. (Although it's not even really about *me*.)