This morning I woke up to get Wyatt who was standing in his crib - complaining that the kitten had once again snuck into bed with him - and also requesting his morning mama milk. I brought him back to bed and nursed him for quite a while - a good 10-15 minutes - which is rare for him these days.
Once I heard Mike's truck revving up I slipped out of bed and grabbed my "Mom's Devotional" Bible. It's dusty, but the words are still good!
I tend to go more on randomness - opening my Bible to a section and trusting that the Holy Spirit will guide me to a meaningful passage. I've never been disappointed either.
This morning I knew I wanted to read in the new testament and was aiming for Colossians, but ended up in Ephesians. This particular Bible has daily readings and I was looking for a Tuesday and jumped at the first one I thumbed through after passing up Acts and Romans.
The title of the passage was "Ordering Our Options" and used Ephesians 5:15-16 as the passage. It's an interesting coincidence that the devotion talks about choosing where we will serve in the church - as our church is starting its annual messages about serving God. I think the theme this year is "Dirty Jobs: Messy, but Rewarding."
"Be very careful, then, how you live- not unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16
The devotion also talked about how studying the scriptures will help us to set our priorities in life. There is great value in spending time with God - and not just in church on Sunday mornings.
I pray that I will make God and scripture study a priority in my life. I know that when I do spend time in His word that I am more at peace in my life - making me a better mother and wife and friend.
Going on in my Bible I wanted to write down two other passages that stood out to me this morning. Maybe they will speak to you and bless you in your life today.
"And this is my prayer, that your love may about more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ- to the glory and praise of God."
Philippians 1:9-11
*****
"Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceful and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men. At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone. But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once and then warn him a second time. After that have nothing to do with him."
Titus 3:1-10
No comments:
Post a Comment