In the last week we've had to replace the kitchen light, the brand new $20 light bulb in Mike's outdoor light, the front storm door lock assembly (we're over $100 easily by now and while that probably seems like not much - it's a big chunk out of a tight budget).
And now the biggie - our hot water heater is dying. Day by day I've noticed less and less hot water - and the temperature has been dropping despite my adjusting the temperature higher and higher until it's now on HOT - but it's not hot at all.
I just priced gas hot water heaters and they start in the high $400's and that's just for the heater.
Both kids need cooler weather clothes and some new shoes - they've been growing like crazy. I figure I can get away with a pair or two of jeans each and some long sleeve shirts. Maddie needs new shoes - as all her sandals and other shoes are way too small. She has a pair of Crocs, a pair of white dress shoes and a pair of sneakers. Wyatt has a pair of brown shoes and a pair of sneakers - so I guess he's really ok with shoes. He'd much rather run around barefoot - in fact I just put shoes on him to go play outside and he came back in to ask me to take them off - happily running outside barefoot once free from his sandals (I think they're too small).
I was planning to get them clothes this week when Mike got paid, but I'll have to put it off again now that we'll be spending a huge chunk on a new hot water heater.
This old house sucks.
We're down to one working toilet - the other requires manual assistance to make it flush. My gas stove has been broken for 3 years now - the oven is broken - and the burners don't hardly light anymore.
So what's next house? I guess the only other likely things to break are the washer and dryer. We've already replaced the a/c, furnace, refrigerator, dishwasher, floors, ceiling fans and house lights.
grrrrr.
2 comments:
Our house in Great Falls was a turn-of-the century Victorian, and it was also slowly falling apart around our ears. We used to joke that the pipes were made of wood.
My little ones need new clothes too. I'm going to cheat and head over to eBay. Last winter I was able to buy Aiden a whole new winter wardrobe for under $50. And he's still young enough that he doesn't care if the clothes aren't brand new.
I wished we lived close to one another. Our house was built in 1997 and we are slowly updating stuff. I know we are replacing our gas stove and hot water heater and I say both are only 3-5 years old. If we lived close I would give them to you!
I want a electric flat top and waterless hot water heater (new thing out in the market and saves engery!)
I would go on craigs list and look for the household stuff you need. That's what I do!
Post a Comment