Sunday, June 22, 2008

Stuffed animals and mommy milk

Tonight as I was laying in Maddie's bed - snuggling with her and Wyatt (who was nursing) I listened to my three-year-old prattle on about how much her babies (stuffed animals) love drinking mommy milk. She interrupted her conversation to announce that Blueberry - her most loved stuffed cat who is purple - was hungry for some mommy milk. She hiked her little nightgown up - explaining that she needed to get it higher so he could have some mommy milk.

After a few seconds  she asked him if he wanted to switch sides, which I often do with Wyatt (whose response is "side!"). A few moments later she exclaims, "wow, you were really thirsty for some mommy milk Blueberry!" and says he's all done. 

I often ask her why she no longer drinks mommy milk - she was abruptly weaned at 15 months due to complications in my pregnancy with Wyatt - and I've always felt slighted since then. 

She explains that mommy milk is for babies and she's no longer a baby. I remind her that some of her friends are still drinking mommy milk, but she's made up her mind - it's no longer for her because she's too old in her mind. 

I often wonder what our relationship would be like if she were still nursing - if mama's milk were a source of comfort as it still is for Wyatt. Would her tantrums be less intense? Would I be able to reason with her or calm her more effectively?

I guess I'll really never know when it comes to her - but I'm already noticing a bit of a difference when it comes to Wyatt - who is almost 18 months old. My goal with him is 2 years, but I know we'll continue to enjoy our nursing relationship past that point. 

What matters most beyond the basics of why one should breast feed is that my kids are growing up in a world (my world really) where breastfeeding is totally normal. Babies are fed from their mommy's breasts and bottles don't really have much place in our life. Sure, they had a few here and there, but not enough that they were a constant presence in their life. 

I'm hoping one day to write about Wyatt nursing his own lovies - and listening to him talk about how much he loved drinking mommy milk. Maddie talks about how when she was a baby she drank mommy milk - she mentions it daily!


No comments: