Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Great Huntress

Our tabby cat Azzie is more of an outside cat than an inside cat these days. She's front de-clawed, but still manages to catch many varied things in our backyard. Mostly she brings us lizards, frogs and sometimes these snake looking things we call legless lizards (why they are called that, I'm not sure!) Note: I looked these up and they're actually called glass snakes or glass lizards - they are definitely lizards, just no legs. The Glass part is because they will often "break" into pieces when threatened. It's just the tail part that breaks, but the tail is a majority of the length of the reptile. I guess the lizard just decides how much he wants to drop each time!

She loves to bring her live prey to the backdoor and patiently wait for me to open the door. I just happened to walk into the kitchen this morning and there she was with a legless lizard hanging out of her mouth. Other than losing the end of his tail (hey, she's smart- she doesn't fall for that one anymore!) he was fully intact and quite alive, although a little stunned.

I wish I could have grabbed my camera for the shot of it hanging from her mouth, but she'd already dropped it by the time I found it.

Maddie and Wyatt were squealing with delight - they love that kind of stuff!

Fortunately the lizard slithered off to be caught another day - unlike the small graveyard of anoles we have by the bean plants...

Here are some pictures of her prey today:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: