Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Naval Museum/Fort Barrancas

*I just found this entry in the "Drafts" folder of my email program. I think I started writing it on the way home from Pensacola... 2 months ago! Since I'd already done so much writing I decided to post it - incomplete at this point, but at least it's up here!

May 3, 2008

Our day started a little later than usual - Maddie and Wyatt were gracious with our sleep - letting us stay in bed until 7:15 a.m. instead of the usual 6:30 a.m. from Wyatt lately.

It was dark and a bit dreary - the rain was coming for sure this time. The radar was threatening-looking and I worried that our plans for the day were going to be washed away.

We were slow - hot tea, oatmeal for maddie and yogurt for wyatt. Mike kept trying to climb back in bed and go to sleep - "I just need a 20 minute nap," he said. This coming from the man who got 10 UNINTERRUPTED hours of sleep last night! I went to bed a good 2 hours after him and got up with Wyatt once and was already awake before the kids woke up for the day.

I eventually decided that wyatt needed a nap and seeing he was running around in one of his cute tie dyed prefold diapers and no cover - i threw a pair of wool longies on him and put him to bed in his crib. No disagreement from him - which was rare. I told Mike I was going to take a shower with Maddie and asked him to go out to the van and unload some of the junk that had accumulated over the last six months.

That project turned into a much longer than antici
pated one... I think it took about 2 hours, but mike vacuumed and washed the inside windows, which really needed to be done. It was so nice to have a cleaned out vehicle - of course packing for a day trip just put a lot of stuff back into it, but oh well.

Maddie was already in her car seat watching a movie, so I took her with me to fuel up and run to the drug store to pick up some necessities. When we got back home Mike was showered and dressed and Wyatt was still asleep!

I sent Mike out to sit with Maddie and I woke up Wyatt - only to see that his diaper and cover had leaked all over his bed... I quickly changed his diaper and got him dressed, made a mental note to strip his bed when we got back home and loaded him into his car seat.

Did I mention that we decided to move him to forward facing? He's about 22 lbs now and 16 months old yesterday. Mike said he was ready to do it, but I'm still not sure. Wyatt's not sure what to think - and I can see the downside of him being able to see me as I'm driving. I think that's a big benefit to being rear facing - they can't see you!

We timed our trip perfectly - the rain started really coming down shortly after we went through the drive thru at McDonald's - a special treat for a family day. We were out of the worst of it within 15 minutes and by the time we arrived in Pensacola the rain had stopped and a nice breeze remained.

Our original plan was to attend the crawfish festival, but upon arriving at the location and seeing it was a little on the small side - and required us to pay $5 each for Mike and I to get in - we decided to forget the festival and go to the Naval Air Museum instead.

It was a much better choice - and free at that!

The kids loved the planes and boats - they were excited. They climbed in the cockpits of the planes and for a few moments they were Navy pilots fighting in the first World War...

After about an hour at the museum we loaded back up and decided to check out Fort Barrancas - which was actually really neat! Not entirely stroller friendly, but pretty cool nonetheless. At the top of the fort you could look over the wall and see the Pensacola Bay - almost like it would have looked a hundred years ago - minus the buildings and erosion.

No comments: