Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tea with Mimi

If you didn't know - I spent part of my childhood in England. My father was in the Air Force and we were lucky enough to do TWO tours in England. One of the traditions we brought back with us to the States is morning tea - and afternoon tea and really anytime tea!

Tea is just part of who I am and who my family is really. We always have a pot of tea going when we're visiting each other's homes.

It's a source of comfort in times of anguish and sickness - If I've had a a stressful day I crave a nice cup of hot tea.


Madeleine was indoctrinated into the world of tea as a very young babe. A few weeks before her first birthday when we were attempting to talk her into trying some whole milk - the only way she'd take any milk was if it was in the form of hot tea.

It became a ritual for her - to this day she still gets up and asks for a cup of hot tea. She's graduated from sippy cups to real china and even has her own set of miniature tea cups courtesy of my friend Becca.

Tea with my mom - Mimi - is something very special to Maddie and to me. There's nothing like sitting down to have a cup of tea with my two favorite ladies.

The other night, when Mike was working very late, my parents came over to eat dinner with me and the kids. I was in the midst of jam making and needed to get more fruit and jars. I ran out to the store and when I came back my kitchen was not only clean, but Maddie and my Mom were standing there at the kitchen counter with a beautiful tea set all laid out for a nice cup of tea.

Photobucket

"Would you like a cup of tea, Mommy?" Maddie asked excitedly.

Who could turn that sweet face down?

These days it's rare for me to drink a cup of hot tea from start to finish while it's still warm. I consider a day good when I have finished my tea with only having to reheat it once or twice!


a few more "tea" photos and favorite photos of maddie and her Mimi

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

a tea table I decorated for a tea party function at MOPS

Photobucket

No comments: