Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Train up a child...

The Message translation of the Bible has an interesting take on Proverbs 22:6 - you know the whole "train your child" verse...

"Point your kids in the right direction—
when they're old they won't be lost."

For us, that means grounding them solidly in a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not just about going to church and Sunday school - but more than that - it's about a love for Jesus and wanting to live their lives for Him.

We do scriptures every night - and pray every night. Since starting Accountable Kids with Madeleine 2 weeks ago we're doing them with no excuses and no whining even...

We try to always kneel during prayer time - it doesn't matter if your hands are folded or arms crossed in our household - as long as you're being reverent. 

Tonight as Maddie and I were kneeling to say prayers after reading the scripture (or blessing is really what she calls it) I peeked at Wyatt who is always watching us - he kneeled down and put his head on the bed as we were praying and popped back up as soon as Maddie said Amen - and then added his own AMEN! It was cute and encouraging - that maybe all this hard work I've done to put these practices in place is starting to pay off and become routine.

I think of the future and the challenges that await for them as they venture out into the world and I want to hold them tight and keep them close. It's the daily scriptures and prayer - and the life lessons of accountability, honesty, integrity and all those other Christian morals and values we're trying to teach out kids - that I hope stay with them as they experience the world.

For now, it's a start that I hope stays with them a long time.

No comments: