Saturday, July 26, 2008

I'm dyeing...

No, I'm not dying (well we're all dying!) but I've been dyeing fabric for someone. I recently met a local mom who is also on my Granola Chicks forum and discovered that she crochets wool shorties (diaper covers) and we made a deal that she would make a pair for Wyatt and I would in turn do a custom dyeing for her.

It has been a while since I have done any tie dying - about a month or so, and I forgot what a pain it really is! For one thing it's so darn hot outside and this is so messy it must be done outside. I was also dodging thunderstorms and crazy rain showers, so it's a miracle I even got to do it all.

This was my first time mixing my own dye - I used Procion dyes and the turquoise is made by a company called Dharma. I love that color blue - it's so vibrant!

I ended up finishing the rinsing in my washer and bathtub because it was still yucky last night.

I did 10 gerber birdseye prefold diapers that she uses mainly as burp cloths. I really really wish these were good quality diapers because they really turned out great.

Photobucket

Also included in the mix were three shirts. Two of them are the same color scheme - one for her little girl and one for her little boy. (3 and 10 months old). The middle blue is for maddie, but it's getting kind of small (it was a white shirt with a tea stain on it... imagine that!).

Photobucket
I also did one of Wyatt's pillowcases that was stained. This is my favorite out of all of them - with the little boy shirt being a close second. Maddie calls this the fireboom pillowcase.

front:
Photobucket

back:
Photobucket

It was a good trade, though - look what I got in return! (the pictures aren't that great because I took them with my Mac.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: