Friday, September 5, 2008

Haven't Failed Me Yet- Wheat Dinner Rolls

One of my girlfriends Rebecca L. came to dinner one night and brought these rolls with her - I didn't yet own a bread maker, but this recipe is one thing that really inspired me to get one. (I bought it from a lady on Craigslist, but our local Bargain Box has them often and they're only $6!!!).


So I've never tried making these the "old-fashioned" way - only using my bread maker on the dough setting. However they are the yummiest and prettiest looking rolls. I love them and they have not failed me yet - and I'm hoping they turn out great for you, too!

I often make a double batch and share a pan with someone. A doubled recipe for me makes 29 rolls - I use a round baking pan (8 or 10" - starting with balls of dough around the outside circle and then filling in the middle - I tried it the other way first - inside to outside, but it didn't work as well.)

Recipe for Wheat Dinner Rolls:

3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar (ok, I add a little extra...)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dry milk (I'm not sure what the conversion is if you're using regular milk, but if you live locally and don't have any - come get it from me because I have TONS!)
1 cup whole wheat flour (Rebecca suggests using King Arthur flour, but I've been unable to find it lately so I bought gold medal or whatever big name they had and they turned out fine )
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp quick rise yeast (again, I have regular yeast - it's not quick rise, and it works great)

I dump all the wet ingredients in first and then I layer in the bread and whole wheat flour (mainly because I can only ever find my 1/2 cup measuring cup and it's easy to layer when you're doing 4 cupfuls of each kind... )

After adding the flour I made a small indention/well in the middle of the flour and put in the yeast. Then I set the dough setting and let it do all the work! My machine takes 1.5 hours on the dough setting.

When it's done I divide the dough into small balls (I can fit 14-15 in my cake pan) and put in a greased pan then cover and let rise for at least an hour. I think the ones I made last night rose for almost 2 hours and they were spectacular!

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins. 

I find some it's possible they cook quicker - so I usually set my timer for 20 minutes and then start checking for golden brownness!

Please leave a comment if you try them and how you like them!

No comments: