Monday, September 22, 2008

Sweet nursing moments

A few months ago I wasn't sure if Wyatt and I would still be breastfeeding. It seemed then that he was quite frustrated with my lack of abundant milk supply and he would let me know with each feeding.

But things seem to have evened out. We still have some frustrating moments now and then, but they are all erased by the sweet moments like tonight..

I sat down to nurse him before bed - in my favorite chair - the recliner my parents bought us as a rocking chair when I was expecting Maddie.

He latched on for a few seconds, let go and looked up at me and in a commanding voice said, "SING!"

I kind of looked at him oddly - this is a new request. I've kind of gotten out of the habit of singing them lullabies at night lately and it was just out of the blue that he's started requesting me to sing to him.

I sang "twinkle twinkle little star," taking a moment to breathe after finishing it.

"Sing!" he commanded again.

So I sang him "story" as it's called in our house - but the full title is "Mother Tell me the Story."

It's a song out of the children's songbook for the Mormon Church. It's a sweet song about a child asking his mother to tell him the story about how he came here - about heaven and Jesus. I listened to my best friend Rebecca sing it to her little ones and committed it to heart and it's one of our favorites.

He must have been satisfied after that song - because his only request after that was "SIDE! side side." Which is his way of asking to change sides when the milk flow decreases.

There's something heavenly about nursing your newborn baby - knowing that you're the only one who can satisfy their needs. 

But there is something just as special about nursing your toddler who can communicate their wants and needs to you. There's a little less guesswork - a little more assurance that you're doing the right thing by continuing to offer them the love and comfort and nourishment from your breast.

Now if he'd just learn to sleep through the night!

1 comment:

Christi said...

awwww how sweet! I just love moments like that!