What's a doula? I know you're probably wondering just what I'm talking about. According to Doula's of North America - DONA - "The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they initiate] breastfeeding more easily."
Now with that understanding - why me? Why would I - mom of 2 babies born by cesearean decide to become one who nurtures and supports a woman in labor?
I believe that the power a woman possesses to bring forth life - exists no matter how her child enters the world. Birth is a miracle no matter the setting, the manner - the outcome is the same - a mother is born and a child is born.
Some moms desire a completely unmedicated or "natural" childbirth - while others have no qualms over accepting medication. Some- an increasing number here in the USA - are choosing to have the most intervening of births - cesearean - whether it's because there is a legitimate medical reason or even because it's more convenient - although much more difficult and risky.
The role of a doula is to support a woman in labor and during childbirth - whether they give birth medicated, unmedicated or by surgery - it is still childbirth - for after all a child is still born. In addition to helping to offer physical and emotional support a doula will often take pictures during the birth - chronicling what takes place and later presenting the new parents with their birth story - written from an objective viewpoint.
During prenatal consultations a doula will often offer information about choices a mother will make about her birthing wishes - including writing a birth plan. Once in labor - the doula will often help facilitate communication between the laboring woman, her partner and health care providers.
For me - becoming a doula seems a natural progression from being a lactation counselor. Already trained in breastfeeding issues - of which the birth experience can play a large role - I feel that assisting moms in labor, childbirth and the post partum moments will be a compliment to skills I already possess.
My openmindedness when it comes to birth is also a plus. I'm a firm believer in unmedicated childbirth - because research says that it is what is best for mom and for baby - and also for the breastfeeding relationship.
It's not what happened for me - but I can tell you that I wish I would have had a doula - even though I had c-sections. It would have been nice to have someone with me when I was strapped to the operating table - before my husband was allowed in the room - and was vomiting while laying on my back. I couldn't talk for fear of choking and no one was paying any attention to me at that moment. I would have had less anxiety about what was happening around me if a trained professional was near me explaining what was happening next and making sure that I was comfortable.
Even though I know that unmedicated births are the best option for moms and babies I am also keenly aware that those kinds of births aren't happening that often in our local area - and for that matter across the country.
Every woman who wants a doula - should have one - regardless of the type of birth she is planning or ends up having. Circumstances change and emergencies arise requiring medical interventions.
I will never limit myself as a doula - only offering to work with clients who want a particular type of birth. Whether you desire an unmedicated birth or are planning on a cesearean or epidural - I will support and encourage you the entire way. I can offer my clients the past experience of going through 2 cesearean births, 4 years of breastfeeding my own children along with formal education in lactation, professional training as a birth and post partum doula (2009) along with a compassionate, patient nature. On the subject of more practical skills - I offer my experience as a photographer and journalist/creative writer to help capture the images of the moment and write a beautiful birth story for you.
I want to continue helping moms and babies - that's why I am becoming a doula. The miracle of birth fascinates me - and I know that as a doula I will continue to make a difference in the lives of women - one mom and one baby at a time.
It's not about the way you give birth - but how you feel about your birth experience - a doula's job is to make sure your birth is memorable no matter what the situation.
1 comment:
Love this, of course!
Post a Comment