Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A big boy bed - well kind of...

Photobucket

It's been coming - the day when Wyatt would grow out - I mean climb out - of his crib.

He's actually been climbing out for about a week - thanks to the wise instruction of his older sister!

I wasn't ready to give up the crib - although Maddie was moved to a twin-size mattress on the floor when she was not quite 18 months old.

I liked having a place to use for time outs - for me and him! And it was nice to know that he was contained and not wandering his room playing with toys when he should be napping.

But it's no longer a safe containment system and I worry about him falling and getting hurt - so this morning during the torrential down pours I took the crib apart (it's still in the hallway since it's STILL raining and we can't get out to the storage shed in the rain).

Eventually he'll have a twin-size mattress on the floor just like Maddie did - but for now he's alright on the crib one - although it's so small!

I was very pleased that he went down easily for his nap today and didn't get up to play! Tonight at bedtime I had to go in and lay down and nurse him a little bit more and when I got up the second time he told me "Night Night" and "I love you too" and stayed with his little head on the pillow - pulling his Thomas blanket up close to his face.

Part of me wants to cry (and that part wants another baby!) because it's just another way that he's not a baby anymore. There's a small part of me that was ready, but it was more out of necessity and safety I guess.

I'm going to start crying if I keep writing - because there are so many precious things about my little ones that move me to tears (of love and frustration!). I'm just amazed at them - how they grow and talk and learn so much about life from each day. I love that I am able to be a part of their world as a stay at home mom - to experience the awe and wonder that fills their little eyes.

I am humbled by my children - always.

1 comment:

Mid Life Hopes said...

Awwwww, how fast they grow!!
He looks so snuggled, and comfortable.

;)