Thursday, August 28, 2008

Montana Melancholy

I am sitting here full of so many thoughts and feelings and emotions. I just read a post that my dear friend Shari wrote about our beloved Montana. Some, but not many know that I am a transplant - I spent what I will call the best parts of my childhood in Montana - in Great Falls. It was with mixed feelings and afterwards - a lot of regrets that I left my love - my mountains, rivers, prairies and open spaces. 

It was for love that I've yet to return. My life now is tied invariably to the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The man I love has the ocean running through his blood as much as I have the mountains in mine. We all make sacrifices and mine has been to be separated from the lands that will forever be part of my soul. 

Shari, like me - is no longer living in Montana - but still has family there - and visits at least once a year. She was writing about feeling that she was "home" when she recently visited - despite having a life outside of Seattle - a family, career, house, etc. 

I think part of the reason I've yet to return is I am afraid I would never want to return to Florida. I would never want to be separated from my family - and to return would leave me melancholy I'm sure. I'm just not ready to go back.

Eleven years later I still tell people that I'm from Montana - it's blatantly obvious that I'm not from around here - no accent, etc. 

It's crazy to me that a place I have not seen since high school can still bring me to tears when I think about it for too long - that Shari's description of her love for Lake MacDonald and Apgar Village in Glacier National Park can evoke such deep emotions in me that I'm sitting here weeping as I type this out. 

There was a feeling of peacefulness I had there - of being able to surround myself with the most beautiful landscapes I'd ever seen - to lose myself in the mountains and valleys and streams. In my backyard were the endless prairies, the mountain ranges, the extraordinary sunsets. I could watch a thunderstorm roll across the plains - a hundred miles away. 

It was the wildlife - the flora and fauna - the mountains, the waters - it is a magical place.

Don't get me wrong- Montana is a hard place to live - the winters are hard and the summers aren't all sunshine and play all the time.

But I still miss it and one day hope to be back in the Northwest - I'd love to raise my kids out there. I think Mike got a small glimpse of it all when we were in Oregon - and it's definitely a place I could call home as well - we've said 10 more years here and then we'll think about retiring out west.

I can't wait.

4 comments:

Mid Life Hopes said...

:( I only visited there, and fell in love with it.
Big Sky.......
Real Cowboys...
Elk....
:)

sunflowereyes said...

Oh, you brought me to tears! I miss home so much. It's true, it takes a hardy breed to live in Montana, and I think that's why we all feel somewhat out of place in practically any other state.

Since we're in the army, the chances of getting back to Montana anytime soon are slim, but we are working our hardest to at least get back to the west. David will be requesting a transfer to Fort Carson in Colorado as soon as he can. It won't be home, but it will at least have some of the openness that I crave so much.

sunflowereyes said...

Oh, you brought me to tears! I miss home so much. Georgia is lovely, but I feel a little stifled by all the trees. I need some open space, a place where I can see where I stand on the planet. The green is gorgeous, but also a little claustrophobia-inducing.

Anonymous said...

my oh my, lady, yes...move...come to oregon....ocean and mountains! what can be better?

besides an hour away aint that far for a weekly playdate!