What I'd like to be doing is writing about the amazing insight I have had recently into life with two toddlers - but instead I'm stuck thinking about Hurricane Gustav and where he's planning to hit...
The five-day forecast brings the storm into the middle of the Gulf of Mexico - and depending on a pressure system that hasn't yet revealed what it's plans are - could come to us in the Panhandle - Mississippi/New Orleans or Texas...
Around here - early preparation is important and for our family it is a must. Not just preparing the house and family, but safeguarding the boats that are our livelihood.
Tomorrow - Wednesday - Mike and his partner are going scouting up the "Ditch" - an intercoastal waterway - to look for safe havens for the 12-13 boats they have to move. They've been putting the hurricane gear - heavy ropes and big anchors on the boats - getting them ready.
They start moving them on Thursday - you can't wait until the last minute because there will be no place to put them -
Mike and my brother worked in the storage building tonight - clearing it out to make room for the outdoor toys and making sure they could easily get to the hurricane boards and plylox for securing the house if it's necessary.
I am frustrated at not having a good hurricane kit prepared and now feel stressed at having to put one together at short notice. Mike said not to worry about doing it myself - with the kids by myself and that we'd work on it together, but I'm feeling crunched for time.
I'm probably worrying for nothing, but honestly it's been years since i've weathered a hurricane - since my childhood - I've left for all the other storms in our recent history. We evacuated for Ivan - thankfully - and then I flew out to Indiana with Maddie when she was just 4 months old - for Dennis - a Cat. 4 that either missed us or fizzled out last minute.
Add that stress to my exhaustion from the tea and Wyatt's refusal to sleep at night..
but watching him hug maddie brings me such joy that i forget my nightly frustrations when it comes to sleep.
And i hope that gustav stays out of my dreams
1 comment:
:(
Post a Comment