Or the worst - that something would happen to both of us at the same time - leaving my kids orphans.
I've been reading this blog for a few months now - since sometime in late August or early September - My best friend Becca pointed me towards it and I am now hooked and floored. Her sister (CJane) has also been keeping up with Nie Nie's Blog - reposting favorite entries from the past several years. The emotions run rampant as I read what she writes - and I feel like I know this family and the children even though we've never met.
I'm at a lack for words on how to describe it all, so I'll post the description from CJane's blog:
Then, my sister Nie Nie and her husband were in a private plane crash (August 16, 2008) and are now trying to recover from very critical burns. I blog for donations on their behalf. You can donate by clicking the "donate to Nie" button down below. Now, more than ever I believe in the blogging community and hope to see the day when my sister can enjoy it again too.
This is information from the Nie Recovery Site:About Nie
On Saturday, August 16, 2008, Stephanie Nielson was in a plane crash with her husband, Christian Nielson, and his flight instructor, Doug Kinneard, near St. Johns, Arizona. Doug Kinneard passed away soon after arriving at the Maricopa County Hospital.Christian & Stephanie remain in critical condition at Maricopa Burn Center. Christian has sustained burns on over 30% of his body. His wife Stephanie’s body was burned over 80%.Since 2005, Stephanie has welcomed us into her charming abode through the NieNie Dialogues. Far from being a product of creative editing, the Nielson’s don’t just shine through the selective lens of a blog. They are ingenuous examples of family devotion, eternal romance, and Christ centered faith.
If I remember correctly - the couple has 4 kids and Cjane and her husband (and their infant son "The Chief") welcomed NieNie's children three oldest children into their home after the accident. CJane's sister Lucy took the baby.
To go from the fledgling mother of an infant to the mother of 4 (because that's really what she is right now, their mom) must have been overwhelming. But through her words I can see that with prayer and dedication from her family and community - CJane is doing a marvelous job.
There is hardly a time when I read her blog and I'm not reduced to sobbing. Mike will walk into the room and ask me what's wrong - and there are no words to describe.
This weekend there was a benefit for Nie Nie and her husband - her girls sang on stage with artist Mindy Gledhill - all proceeds benefitting their recovery. This weekend might have been the first time the children were allowed to see their parents. Dad is now discharged from the hospital and doing further rehab while staying with his parents.
Nie Nie is slowly being brought out of a drug-induced coma for the past 2 months. Her burns were more substantial than her husband's - and doctor's say that her face is healing well - but I know she will never look the same.
I cry for her children - will they recognize their mother? - her face forever changed and scarred - but she will still be beautiful and her words will still be sweet once she starts talking again.
I'm too choked up to write more right now, but wanted to show you the video that was presented at the benefit this weekend.
Please pray and continue to pray for this couple and their young family - 4 children under 7... Pray for their extended families as the sisters and brothers, fathers and mothers work so hard to keep things normal in their now hectic lives. Pray for healing and protection over every member of these families -keep the children healthy and infection at bay as mom continues to fight for her life.
And pray for your own families - for your children and loved ones. It can all change or end in an instant - tell them you love them today.

4 comments:
You've been reading this blog since early November?? :)
Just to clarify (from one who has been hooked to both blogs for a while): CJane took the three oldest children. CJane's (and NieNie's) sister Lucy took the baby. Still, going from 1 to 4 kids is a huge adjustment!
What an awesome family!
Like I said - the emotions were running rampant as I was reading - I was thinking September but wrote November (thinking how soon it would be here I guess).
And just a crazy mistake on the kids - sorry! Thanks for fact-checking for me :)
i'm addicted to the readings too. i saw the link on your site and started following soon after you had it posted.....i tear up whenever i read as well. it makes me think of me & my sister and the bond that only sisters/siblings share.
Thank you for your kind words and support of Nie's Recovery.
Mindy
Post a Comment